Pomades are a great way for men to enjoy the hairstyle they always dreamed of having. They are perfect for those who like slick hair, pompadour looks, or anything in between. In this article, we will offer an overview of the 11 best water based pomade options on the market, by looking at their features, pros and cons, and customer ratings.
11. GOLDEN COAST COMPANY Hair Styling Pomade for Men
This product is a clear pomade that washes out with no residue. It is the best water based pomade for men with short to medium hair lengths. The pomade is not tested on animals. It is lightweight and has a subtle scent that is not too overpowering. It is easy to style into your hair, and it provides strong hold with low maintenance.
- Light scent
- Keeps hair shape very well
- Rinses easily
- Leaves no residue
- Not ideal for longer hair
- Can dry up fast
- A bit pricey
- Not great in high humidity conditions
- Cheap looking container
The pomade has been given a 4.5 out of 5-star rating by Amazon reviewers, out of 77 reviews.
10. Smooth Viking Beard Care Pomade for Men
The Smooth Viking Hair Care Pomade needs only a small amount to keep hair styled all day long. The pomade is matte and offers a striking definition. It helps you achieve a dapper and sleek look, and it rinses out fast at the end of the day. If you want to achieve a matte look full of volume, use it on dry hair. For a shiny look, use it on damp hair.
- A little bit goes a long way
- Rinses easily
- Low maintenance formula
- Fine ingredients
- Offers a weaker hold when used without water
- The price is on the high side
- Not suitable for extremely active people
- The scent can be overpowering
- The product can feel a bit greasy
The product has been rated 4.5 out of 5 stars on Amazon, from 834 customer reviews.
9. Imperial Barber Grade Products Gel Pomade
This gel pomade features vitamin B5. This allows you to nourish and strengthen your hair as you style it. It is the best water based pomade to add volume to fine hair and give it extra lift. It is suitable for medium to strong hold, it dries quickly, it doesn’t melt, and it doesn’t leave flakes.
- Dries tight
- Great for a variety of styles
- No side effects
- A small amount needed
- Adds volume
- Leaves white residue in some types of hair
- It makes your hands sticky
- Doesn’t work that well on thick hair
- Customer service for this product is lacking
- May cause breakouts on sensitive scalps
The pomade has been given a 3.9 out of 5–star rating on Amazon, according to 162 reviews.
8. Rocky Mountain Barber Company Pomade for Men
This pomade from Rocky Mountain Barber Company uses no oil and is simple to wash out. It features a pleasant and light natural scent that does not overpower. It delivers barber grade performance for a variety of hairstyles. It provides natural shine and edginess.
- Leaves behind no residue
- Easy to apply
- Barber grade performance
- Non-greasy texture
- Light scent
- Won’t straighten out curlier hair
- Can leave your hair feeling coarse after you wash it out
- The product is quite thick
- Not great for long hair
This pomade has been given a rating of 4.4 out of 5 stars on Amazon, out of 200 reviews.
7. Union Hair Pomade 4oz Firm Medium Hold
This pomade gives a strong hold to both short and medium length hair. It is simple to wash out of your hair without the need for special shampoo. It turns messy-looking hair into a variety of sleek hairdos, without leaving your hair feeling greasy. You can use a bit of water on it to give your hair a boost throughout the day.
- Firm hold
- Provides natural shine
- Made in USA
- High quality ingredients
- Not ideal for long hair
- Not suitable for curly hair
- The product feels waxy
- It does not add that much texture
- The scent can be unpleasant
Amazon shoppers have rated this product 4.2 stars out of 5, out of 95 customer reviews.
Note: This product is currently unavailable, so we suggest you check out the next item on this list if you’re looking for a similar product.
6. ZEUS Men’s Firm Hold Pomade
Extremely similar to the Union hair pomade, the Zeus Men’s Pomade is paraben-free, and contains natural ingredients like jojoba wax, keratin protein, and castor oil. The product comes in a 4 oz. jar, which is more than enough, since a little bit goes a long way.
- Firm hold
- Nice verbena lime scent
- Washes out quickly
- Suitable for all hair types
- Can make your hair feel stiff
- Does not work well for beards
- A bit pricey
- It has a wet effect
- Not that much shine
Amazon customers have rated this product 4.5 out of 5 stars, according to 66 reviews.
5. O’Douds – All Natural Multi Purpose Water Based Pomade
The O’Douds pomade offers a firm and shiny hold. It has a slight cedar citrus fragrance that is bold and refreshing. This is the most popular pomade made by O’Douds, because it works on all hair types, and it creates a variety of hairstyles.
- Strong hold
- Works on all types of hair
- Healthy for your hair
- Made of high-quality ingredients
- Can make hair and hands slightly sticky
- Difficult to wash out
- A bit difficult to apply
- Thick consistency
- Heat might cause it to lose its hold quickly
The pomade has been given a 4.2 out of 5–star rating from shoppers on Amazon, according to 128 reviews.
4. Suavecito Pomade Firme Hold
This product offers an incredibly strong hold for bold styling. It washes out with ease without you using a special shampoo. With no harsh chemicals, hair will not get dried out. You can use it to create hairstyles like side parts, pompadours, and slick backs.
- Bold and interesting design
- Water soluble
- Moderate shine
- Combs easily
- Community trusted
- Has a strong cologne scent that might be considered overpowering
- Leaves hair a bit sticky
- Quite difficult to control when applying on hair
- The product is crunchy
- The formula is thick
This pomade from Suavecito has been given a 4.5 out of 5-star rating by those shopping on Amazon, out of 2,330 reviews.
3. Tip Top Original Water Based Pomade
The third best water based pomade from Tip Top Pomade offers a low to medium shine. This water based product features a strong hold for virtually any hairstyle, which is what makes it one of the best water based pomades on the market. It comes with a slightly sweet and caramelized scent.
- Provides hair with shine
- Keeps hair in desired position
- The scent is pleasant
- It spreads easily
- It is reasonably priced
- May leave white flakes after prolonged use
- Is not suitable for re-wetting during the day
- You should check on it a few times a day to ensure the hold is the same
- The container you get might not be full
Amazon shoppers have given the pomade a review of 4.1 out of 5 stars, from 34 customer reviews.
2. Imperial Barber Grade Products Classic Pomade
This classic pomade from Imperial Barber Grade Products is definitely worthy of its name. This is the second best water based pomade from Imperial Barber Grade Products on this list. It features what they call “industrial strength hold.” This pomade offers a slight shine and applies ultra smoothly. It washes out with just a little bit of water.
- All day wear
- Perfect for versatile hairstyles
- Applies easily
- Water reactivatable
- Better suited for thick hair only; thin hair may not style correctly
- The scent might not appeal to some people
- It has a dry finish
- Can give you acne if you have sensitive skin
- Does not work well in extreme heat
The product has received a rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars, according to 721 reviews.
1. Beard and Lady Mythical Pomade for Men and Women
The last and best water based pomade on today’s list is the Beard and Lady’s one, which uses organic argan and jojoba oils. This helps nourish the hair as it styles it. The pomade will not leave your hair feeling crunchy. It offers a medium hold to give hair a little bit of movement as well.
- Made with solar power
- Conditions the hair
- Salon quality
- Large container
- Takes a lot of product to get the hair styled properly
- Does not offer a matte finish
- It is difficult to remove
- It can make sensitive skin itchy
- Some people have complained about the smell
On Amazon, this pomade has been given a 4.5 out of 5-star rating, out of 422 reviews.
Pomade is an important asset in any man’s (or woman’s) styling routine. Whether you have thick or thin, straight or curly hair, a high-quality hair pomade will allow you to style it as you wish. If you want your hair to turn out exactly as you imagined it, try a water based pomade. These 10 best water based pomade options showcased today can become your favorites in no time. Did we forget about your favorite one? Tell us all about the best water based pomade you’ve ever tried in the comments down below.
Recommended Read: Best Hair Growth Shampoo and Conditioner